In line with international practice and consular practice in China, the purpose of consular authentication (legalization) is to ensure that public documents issued in one country can be acknowledged by relevant authorities in another country, and public documents can have its due legal effect, which shall not be affected by doubts on the authenticity of the seal or signature on the documents.
The Chinese Embassy is responsible for legalizing public documents that have been duly authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands. All public documents issued in the Netherlands need to be legalized for intended use in China. Public documents intended to be used in Hong Kong SAR or Macao SAR do NOT need authentication by the Chinese Embassy. However they need to be duly apostilled by the competent department of the Netherlands.
Have your document notarized by a local notary unless it is an original certified copy/certification issued by a competent local government office.
The document in Dutch version should be translated into Chinese or English version by an authorized translator and bound together properly .
The document needs further to be authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands (Some documents need to be certified by court first before presented to the ministry of foreign affairs).
Submit your document to the Chinese Embassy for final legalization.
1.Please make sure you have followed all the steps required before submitting your document to Chinese Embassy for final legalization.
2. Your document must be authentic, intact and legitimate. The Chinese Embassy will NOT authenticate a document that contains illegal contents by Chinese laws or may cause potential threats to China's national or public interests.
3. A document containing two or more pages must be bound properly and securely, with sealing wax or paging seal/embossed seal to ensure the integrity of the document. The Chinese Embassy will NOT authenticate a document if it is found illegitimate, or in any way forged, counterfeited, fraudulent or altered.
4. Single affidavits/certificates intended to be used for marriage registration in China and certain adoption documents regarding marital status, health status, or criminal records are only valid for six months from the date of issuance. The Chinese Embassy will NOT authenticate a document if it becomes invalid.
Other supporting Documents to be Submitted
1. One duly completed and signed Authentication Application Form.
2. The document to be authenticated, submit both the original and a complete set of photocopy.
3. For individual documents, please provide the copy of passport of the applicant. for corporate documents, please provide the company registration certificate and the copy of passport of the legal representative of the company.
4. If your application is submitted by an agent, please complete Section 2 on the application form and include one copy of the agents' passport/driver license.
5. Other supporting documents which a consular officer may request.
· How to apply
1. Please submit your application to Chinese Embassy as described in Step 3 of Authentication Procedure. You may submit your application in person, or use an agent (Power of Attorney not necessary). Please note that you may be required to come to the Embassy in person to have an interview as deemed necessary by a consular officer.
2. Walk-in service is available during office hours. Appointment is NOT required for submission or collection of your authentication documents.
3. Mail-in authentication applications are NOT accepted.
4. You or your agent will be able to pick up your documents on the date printed on your Pick-up slip, unless otherwise notified by the Embassy. Mail-back document service is NOT provided.
5. You must pay the authentication fee once your application is processed and approved.
· Processing Time
Regular service: 4 business days
Express service: 2-3 business days
Rush service: 1 business day. Available only in extreme emergencies and subject to approval by the consular officer.
The above processing time is average and for reference only. Some applications may require longer processing time that a pick-up date cannot be confirmed until notified by the Embassy
1. Regular service
Civil documents: Euro 20 per item
Commercial documents: Euro 40 per item
2. Express Service: n additional fee of Euro 25 per item
3. Rush service: an additional fee of Euro 35 per item
Methods of Payment
1. You must pay your authentication fee upon collection of you documents.
2. (For walk-in service) Acceptable methods of payment is debit card.
3. Credit card, Cash, personal check or online payment is NOT accepted.